Saturday, December 11, 2010

Surprising yourself.

My entire life I have loved surprises. I can't get enough of them. I don't just mean gifts and things like that. I am talking anything and everything unexpected. I love when people go out of their way to do something for me that I  was not expecting. It's not easy because I'm devastatingly optimistic and always expect the world out of people, and out of the world (...?). It goes both ways, I love surprising other people too. I just enjoy when my life is filled with things out of the ordinary, things I didn't see coming. I love not being able to predict the end of a movie. I love getting a random text out of the blue. I love getting flowers for no reason (although that has only happened once). I love finding things. I love running into people. I love stumbling upon an adorable little shop. I love it all.

Lately, I think I've been waiting for a surprise. Like some kind of "Ta-da! Everything is fixed now and you're going to be happy forever. Surprise!" But that's the thing about surprises: you can't wait for them. You can't expect or hope for them. I mean, that's kind of the point. And you can't always want surprises to come from someone else. My new thing right now is striving to surprise myself. I've been doing too much of letting outside forces (and people) determine how I feel and act. I have gotten miserably predictable. It's time for me to take back control. This is my life and I'm wasting it.

Here's to living! Do something you wouldn't have expected yourself to do. Surprise yourself!

1 comment: