Sunday, January 31, 2010

La Vie Célibataire.

Upon checking my email just now I noticed one from eHarmony, the subject reading "Find other singles like you." ...ahem. That is rather presumptuous of you, eHarmony. Just what makes you think I'm so single? And even if I am, which would be none of your business, what makes you think I would be so desperate to use you (not that everyone who uses eHarmony is desperate)? I'm not mad. It doesn't offend me or do irreparable damage of any sort. I just thought it was kind of funny. And ridiculous.

I didn't necessarily plan for that to lead me into a deeper topic but it got me thinking about how incredibly frightened we are of being single. It really makes me sad and a little worried. Are we so co-dependent that we simply must have someone else in our lives to feel whole? I fully understand how great it is to be in love. I get why that is something that people wish for. This doesn't have to mean, however, that anything less than that is meaningless. I worry that people don't value themselves enough to be happy even when alone. I wish they would.

To end on a lighter note: the sun was shining so brightly today I could almost swear it was spring. I am so so so eager for spring. It's such a beautiful time of year. But I've really been trying not to wish time away. There may be something great off in the distance but I don't want to lose sight of what today has to offer... you know? But I am quite excited for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment