Monday, November 1, 2010

Making Metaphors out of Molehills.

Have you ever gotten on an elevator and forgotten to push any buttons? And you don't really know how much time has passed before you realize you're not going anywhere unless you press a button.

I was standing in an elevator today and it hit me how clearly that parallels with life. I mean, you can stand in that elevator for as long as you please, but you will never reach the floor you want until you do something. All the while, life will keep going on around you.

Time doesn't stop.

So, until you make a decision to move, you're just going to stay right where you are- and then what good are you doing?


My life elevator doesn't have floors.
I refuse to let my life be defined by the ascension on a staircase of social norms we think lead to happiness. It's not like floor one- finish college; floor two- get married. And besides, I've always been an it's-about-the-journey-not-the-destination kind o' gal.

I just know that it's about time I press some kind of metaphorical button on my elevator of life and start doing something with this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment